Thursday, August 19, 2010

What is the employment situation in the south?

I would like to move my family to a warmer climate. I know that I can get a job, but I am concerned about my two teens. What is out there for them? We are true New Yorkers. I was born in a small town in Alabama, and spent nearly every summer there and in northern Florida until I graduated from HS. I have visited relatives in the Carolina's and Florida, but that was back in the late 80's and 90's. I know that Georgia was thee place to be, but I was told that it has cooled off considerably. Help!

What is the employment situation in the south?
The unemployment rate in Birmingham is about 2.8%, the lowest of any major American city except Orlando. The economy is growing faster than the national average, and everybody is crying out for good employees. So if you are a conscientious worker, I bet you'd find a job fast. Go to www.al.com for employment listings or www.birminghamemployment.com. The other thing to consider is that living expenses are considerably lower than up North, so you'll come out ahead.





For your teens, I suggest the Hoover area of Birmingham, with really solid, diverse schools (featured on "Two A Days" on MTV), and great environment for raising kids.
Reply:The pay and availability of Florida jobs have improved significantly since I first moved here in 1991. Look in the more metropolitan areas such as Jacksonville, Tampa, Miami, Orlando areas, but make note that property prices here have skyrocketed, along with property taxes and insurance. Many people are looking to leave Florida because of this.

pulling teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment